Established in 1985 by handful of astronomy enthusiasts, the organization has grown into a membership of 1000+ within past 30 years. Khagol Mandal is a registered organization under “The Societies Act”. Strong volunteer base and continual activity is one of the strongest point of Khagol Mandal.
Do join us any Wednesday. We meet at:
Khagol Mandal, 5th Floor, Sadhana Vidyalaya, Near Sion Station, Sion, Mumbai
Every Wednesday, 1830 to 2030 hrs.
The activities of Khagol Mandal include :
- Sky observation programmes.
- Basic and Advanced Astronomy Courses.
- Slide Shows and Lectures on Astronomy.
- Study tours to sites of astronomical importance.
- Production of Video / Audio cassettes on Astronomy.
- Telescope making workshops.
Popularization of Astronomy has been the prime motto of Khagol Mandal. This is being achieved through various public programmes, lectures, study tours and sky observation programmes. We also have a library of 500 + books on astronomy and numerous
instrumentation for field observation.
In our constant endeavor to improve and be innovative, our members have designed models to simplify astronomy and have won accolades for these models as well as photographs at National level.
Some of our members have completed Ph.D. in various Astronomical topics and are well settled in India and abroad in prestigious assignments.
We make special efforts for mass participation at the rare celestial phenomena like Total Solar Eclipse, Astronomical Transits, Occultations, Meteor Showers, Comets etc.
Astrophotography – Our astrophotographs have appeared in leading dailies in India and also in International publications.
Khagol Mandal Organized special Solar Eclipse observation Tours in year 1995 (Hamirpur in UP), 1999 (Katchh in Rajashtan) and 2010 (Tamilnadu)
In Feb. 2000, we conducted a special “Care Lonar” conference to emphasize on conserving the unique meteorite impact crater in India.
On 14th May 2005, Khagol Mandal presented a prestigeous “Bhaskar Puraskar” award to Prof. Mohan Apte for his outstanding contribution towards Popularization
In December 2005, Khagol Mandal received an award from Marathi Vidyan Parishad, for its outstanding contribution towards popularization of Astronomy.
Being a Registered Organisation under the Charity Commissioner, the Khagol Mandal is run by a committee of Managing Trustees. The current committee of managing trustees was elected in the Annual General Body Meeting dated Sept. 2014 and shall remain functional till 2019 (5 years) and is as follows :
1) Shri. Pradeep Nayak : Hon. President
2) Prof. Varsha Shukla : Hon. Vice Presisent
3) Shri. Sagun Kerkar : Hon. Secretary
4) Shri. D. T. Shinde : Hon. Treasurer
5) Dr. Aniket Sule : Member
6) Dr. Sujata Deshpande : Member
7) Dr. Sagar Godambe : Member
8) Shri. Abhishek Samant : Member
9) Prof. Swapnil Jawkar : Member
10) Shri. Pritesh Ranadive: Member
11) Shri. Suyog Deshmukh : Member